Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tribute

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxW.Eugene Smith/ Life Magazine
HONORE' SHARRER, American Artist,
July 12, 1920 / April 17, 2009
x
Honore' Sharrer, who recently died at the
age of 88, was known, throughout her
long career, for her exceptional use of color
and masterly command of detail. She is
seen in the photo, with her best known painting,
"Tribute to the American Working People",
a five part polyptych.
x
The painting is reminiscent of Old Masters
and Renaissance altar pieces. The oil
painting, which took 5 years to complete,
depicts a factory worker, surrounded by
scenes of people at a picnic, on a farm,
in a parlor, and in a schoolroom.
x
"Tribute" is in the permanent collection of
the Smithsonian Institution. Ms. Sharrer,
also an exponent of the Ashcan School,
developed, in later years, a style that evolved
into magic realism. Also a deep interest in
women's roles produced the paintings,
"Resurrection of the Waitress" 1984, and
" A Dream of Monticello", 1996.
x
Honore' Sharrer's work is also in the collections of
the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Museum of
Modern Art.
x
Her paintings are well worth the effort of viewing.
Unfortunately my computer was being stubborn
today. I apologize for the lack of paintings,
which I truly tried to include.
x
I acknowledge the information received from
The New York Times, May 13, 2009

15 comments:

Jeane Myers said...

oh what a wonderful tribute - obviously I've missed a very important female artist - she is new to me - will have to check out her and her work....thanks, Lyn

A Cuban In London said...

Many thanks for this heartfelt tribute, computer problems notwithstanding. I can see why you are so keen on her art. That painting is beautiful. I didn't know who she was, so thanks for the introduction.

Greetings from London.

Lyn said...

Hi Jeane-
Thank you...It's funny how another woman artist comes to life after they've passed on...I too am happy to discover "new" artists!

Greetings to A Cuban-
Thanks..her background is well worth looking into..many paintings quite symbolic, surrealistic..

Linda S. Socha said...

Much thanks for the time to create this tribute Lyn. I was not aware of her work so will follow up since she is new to me. Great post. I love the symbolic quality
Linda

Lyn said...

Hi Linda-
Thank you..Yes, isn't it great to discover an artist, sort of makes you wonder. Nowadays the publicity goes to whoever brings in the millions!!

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

I hadn't heard of her either but I have been looking at some of Ms Sharrer's works - very distinctive and colourful although not something I would hang over the fireplace, assuming I could afford one!!

I always feel one needs to know why someone paints this type of picture and be able to understand the references, which sadly I cannot!

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
You pose an interesting idea..how can we know the creative process that leads someone to do their work? I don't even know my own..I rather like the mystery...but talent should be there!

Marty said...

I love the tribute... and as tribute to you I have an award for you on my blog.... it is one that you already have shown on your sidebar but I still feel that you deserved the recognition.

Lyn said...

Hi Marty-
Thank you so much..I am rushing right over! How nice!

Kat Mortensen said...

Lovely post, Lyn. I learn about new people all the time through the great blogs I visit.
There is something about her demeanour that just suggests ARTIST, isn't there?

Kat

Lyn said...

Hi Kat-
I agree that blogs help to open the world to us..and yes, she does have that look!!.. an Artist!!
Thank you...

Owen said...

Hey Lyn, just noticed you've signed up to follow; welcome, welcome, the more the merrier !

Wasn't aware of Sharrer either, so you really are helping educate people, which is the wonderful aspect of the effervescent blog world... people constantly tossing out references, for others to pick up on or not, as curiosity directs...

I really like your "Therapy" post below, and the image with it from Corbis... funny, I posted a scanned copy of a '50's era postcard quite a ways back in my back posts very similar to this one, except there were three water-skiers, in a triangle, wearing color coordinated bikinis... if you can find it, enjoy...

Lyn said...

Owen-
Well, thank you so much..I too like the idea of all this knowledge coming at me, and in the easiest way possible. It is always "fun" to learn and dispense!!
I am especially fond of those two athletic show offs!!

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks for turning me on to Sharrer. Smith's portrait of her is also terrific.

Lyn said...

Hi Petrea-
I too was very glad to discover her..and that gaze of hers, so direct, so, "I know what I'm doing"!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin