Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Baby Blues.

ACCORDING TO A DANISH RESEARCHER, DR. HANS EIBERG, of the University of Copenhagen, if you have blue eyes, you're related to a common ancestor. Every blue eyed person is descended from one person whose genes mutated some 6000 to 10,000 years ago.
x
A genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene, affected the production of melanin, which controls the color of hair, eyes, and skin. The mutation turned off the ability of this ancestor to produce brown eyes. The turned down switch diluted brown eyes to blue. All blue eyes have the same gene changes linked to the mutation that makes blue eyes.
x
Dr Eiberg concludes that all blue eyed individuals are linked to the same distant ancestor. So, my far flung blue eyed relatives, I greet you in the name of our common inheritance. We have all been given the same switch at the exact same spot in our DNA. Eyes wide open, let's go forth with clear vision! And old brown eyes out there, you are the majority, after all.
x
x
Based on an article by Jeanne Bryner/ Live Science

15 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Old brown ones here. Just one of the majority. Sigh.

Lyn said...

Hi Willow-
Ah, but they see everything!!

Silver said...

Hi.. me majority ;)

I read your post of 'Just Imagine' and feeling like someone probably feels a little like me..

~Silver
Reflections/
TT

Lyn said...

Hi Silver-
Thanks for visiting..lots of us have similar feelings..which is good!

Zabeth B et Y B said...

And what did this Doctor siy about the grenn eyes? Mine are green, who is my ancester!!!
VĂ©ronique

Lyn said...

Hi Veronique-
Maybe the same as my ancestor..it depends on the lighting..sometimes my eyes look green also..lucky us!!

Aleks said...

Here is one more with green,blue,gray eyes,what do you think of that?Greetings and a good day to you all lovely light eyed people! Dark eyed too!! :O)

Lyn said...

Hi leks-
It's good to see that you've got the third eye! I like that...

Jeane Myers said...

I knew it! we are related!

Lyn said...

Hi Jeane-
Who could ask for more? Hooray!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

Bright and sparkling or dark and mysterious! You may have the same switch but each one unique!

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
Just back from my morning run and there's a message from you! My switch demands dark shades, or else I will be squinty!

hmla2599 said...

Whoa. I never knew this. It's pretty fascinating.

I have blue eyes that shift green without notice.

hmla2599 said...

P.s. Thanks for your thoughtful comments on my poetry. It's nice to know there is someone out there listening and feeling. It means a lot.

Lyn said...

Hi Hannah-
Me too..those shifty eyes, sometimes looking dark!
I do like your poetry..always looking for truth and beauty!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin