Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Orange...

COUSCOUS..THEY LIKED IT SO MUCH THEY NAMED IT TWICE!
Probably the easiest dish to prepare, it's just a matter of adding something original, exotic or simple! This is simple and just a bit different. I like to serve it with chicken or fish. Your choice. It goes so well with either. I also like it as is, with a salad, some crusty bread, and a nice light Riesling. Cheers!
x
ORANGE COUSCOUS
x
2 TBS butter
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 cup uncooked couscous
14 oz. can fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped orange sections or 1 small can mandarin oranges, drained (my preference)
3 TBS chopped fresh parsley
1/4 TSP salt
1 TSP grated orange or lemon zest
x
Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat. Saute almonds until toasted and butter is slightly browned. Add couscous, cook, stirring for 1 min. Remove from heat. Bring broth to a boil in saucepan. Gradually add to couscous mix, stir. Cover and let stand for 5 min. Fluff with fork. Stir in oranges, grated zest, parsley and salt. Serves 3-4. Enjoy!
x
Any meal that takes about 10 minutes to prepare, gets a gold star in my book.

19 comments:

willow said...

This looks and sounds absolutely devine. I adore couscous. I'm taking this one back to the manor with me. Thanks, Lyn!!

Lyn said...

Hi Willow-
You can't go wrong with this one! In a way preparing couscous is like cheating..too easy!!

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

We had couscous last night, slightly spiced, with sultanas, sliced mushrooms and stuff and mixed with a bean salad! Yummy.

Jeane Myers said...

this sounds delicious! and a ten minute prep gets the whole 5 stars from me!

Kat Mortensen said...

I have 2 packets of organic couscous in my kitchen drawer and a tin of mandarin oranges in the pantry. Yay! Guess what's for supper tonight? Wonderful!

Kat

Kat Mortensen said...

Even better - I just heat the water in my "Hotshot" and add it to the couscous in the pan (I like to toast the couscous in the pan before I add the water).

Kat

Lyn said...

Hi Jeane-
That's my standard too for 5 stars!!Enjoy..

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
Seems there are only good couscous recipes..mushrooms sounds yummy!

Lyn said...

Hi Kat-
I like the toasting idea. I also sometimes saute rice in a bit of olive oil before I add the liquid..tastes richer!!

alaine@éclectique said...

Lyn, this version sounds delish! We have it year round. My recipe is similar but I add corn and green onion with a sprinkle of dill. It's so versatile, you can add practically anything. Love it, so quick!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

This sounds lovely - we'll have it without the chicken though!

Lyn said...

Hi Alaine-
I don't think one can go wrong with couscous..seems everyone's fav!

Lyn said...

Hi Raph-
I'm sure it will be terrific any way you have it!! Bon Appetit!!

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for sharing what sounds like a wonderful recipe!

Lyn said...

Hi Jane-
Thanks..delicious and easy..Everyone seems to like this one!

Deedee said...

Oooh, I love couscous. I normally try to avoid most carbs, but coucous, pasta and quinoa are frequent indulgences. This one sounds delish.

Lyn said...

Hi Deedee-
Had this last night..yum! I'm carb dependant by now!

Kat Mortensen said...

I made a variation on this last night. I toasted the couscous with a tandoori spice blend and also added red onion, a bit of garlic, some chick peas and steamed broccoli. The oranges made it!
Thanks Lyn, you saved the day!

Kat

Lyn said...

Hi Kat-
Now that sounds yummy..will look for a tandoori spice blend.. couscous saves the day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin