Friday, September 25, 2009

Autumn...

THIS MORNING THE LEAVES IN CENTRAL PARK DECIDED TO LET LOOSE. THE GLUE THAT HOLDS THEM TO SUMMERTIME has finally dissolved. A signal, shouted by a barely visible wood nymph, rang through the park. Let 'er rip!! And before my eyes, trees gave up the ghost, boughs began to shake. A tremble gained in power, as colorful leaves took part in an airlift, refusing to hit the ground. Further down the path that stretched before me, a bushel of leaves finally landed, not content to just rest in peace. A whirlwind swept through them. Dust devils swirled in a manic dance. And before my eyes, every trace of green was swept away, to live in dreams of tomorrow.

12 comments:

Patrice said...

Fall is such a wonderful time - I go nuts for dust devils, whirlwinds, tornadoes in miniature... Each time I encounter one I get a flutter thrill in my tummy.

Out here/down here in the Southern Boonies, only the Tulip Poplars and Pecans are letting go - the oaks - guardians of the seasons - will hang on till spring, so that March winds rustling in their leaves will wake the others in time.

alaine@éclectique said...

That is beautiful, Lyn. I saw the autumnal picture, felt the wind, my scarf horizontal!

Lyn said...

Hi Patrice-
I used to love the dust devils when I lived in Texas...dust and mesquite! It does seem alive!

Lyn said...

Hi Alaine-
Thank you...I love being out early, taking in the sun, the walkers, cyclists, runners, and the crunch of leaves underfoot!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

How beautifully you have described the beginning of Autumn! I do love this time, there is a wistful kind of joy in the air.

alaine@éclectique said...

Best time of day!

Lyn said...

Thank you for your kind words, Raph. There's something about the changing seasons that sort of brings us down to earth...

Lyn said...

Hi Alaine-
I so agree!! I try for my early morning walk every day...

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

Now, you don't want me to believe that all the trees in Central Park are now denuded, do you?! But I agree that they seem to be here today and gone tomorrow, once the winds pick up. We live in quite a windy spot so the trees are prety tenacious! I love to see the colours change.

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
Well, I can't fool you, can I? Just got back from "my walk"..tenacious greens still holding on! But the park is glorious, still quite plush...what a day!!

A Cuban In London said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en6kmiX0SDc

This song never fails me when I think of this most gloriouss of seasons and my favourite one.

Greetings from London.

Lyn said...

Greetings to a Cuban-
Just saved the Rachelle Ferrell version..just amazing..thank you so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin