Saturday, April 24, 2010

...on the Verge...



I'm always ready to be captivated by a Pedro Almodovar film.  When life itself spins out of control, becomes too much of a farce, I know where to turn for an appropriate antidote.  It doesn't matter  that this movie came out in 1988.  Farce began when doors were invented. 

"Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown", contains the full compliment of dumped lovers, cheating sweethearts, obsessive longings and all the over the top exaggeration that for some reason, heightens, doesn't diminish its humanity.

The great Carmen Maura (Pepa), is dumped by her lover, Ivan, (who's wife is just being released form a mental institution, in a fright wig, no less) for another girl friend. Pepa is broken hearted, contemplates suicide, spikes the gazpacho with sleeping pills, forgets to take it, (but it doesn't go to waste), sets fire to her bed, (accidentally), is accosted by wife with pistol, somehow runs into a very young and adorable and dumb Antonio Banderas, not only pretty, but pretty hilarious. 

Oh yes, and terrorists. Over the top decor, cartoon colors and fashion, and tabloid style betrayal. Great and sincere acting!  That everything comes together at the end is not a spoiler. Just what we hope for from a screwball comedy. 

All this and English subtitles. Well worth it. Remember, this film was made way back in 1988.  Nothing's changed.  Almodovar only gets better.  Nowadays Penelope Cruz is his muse.  What a thing to be!



9 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

'Mujeres al Borde de un Ataque de Nervios'. This was the first Almodovar film I really liked. Before this one, I wasn't much of a fan. 'Pepi, Lucy y Bom y Otras Chicas del Monton', his opera prima, left me cold. But from ' Women...' his films began to get better and better.

Thanks for the great review.

Greetings from London.

Lyn said...

Greetings to a Cuban-
Thank you..From Almodovar..I only want more, more!! Liked his latest, Broken Embraces...

Little Messy Missy said...

Just added it to my netflix, thanks!

Lyn said...

Hi Missy AKA...
Glad you're getting it..nutty and funny..I have to order very old flicks from Netflix..everyone's on the new releases list! Thanks..

Lyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeane Myers said...

I remember when this film came out and wanted to see it but never did, so thanks for the reminder, netflix the next stop xxo

Lyn said...

Hi Jeane-
I too lost sight of this one, hope I'm not creating a "long wait" ! Thanks and enjoy..

Snooty Primadona said...

Thanks to your description, I've got to see it now! All of my favorite movies seem to be foreign films I I never mind subtitles as long as the film is worth it. British films seem to be my favorite, but I'm always open to something new.
;-)

Lyn said...

Hi Snooty...
Thank you..I too seem to go for foreign films..so many seem to be made for adults! Hope you enjoy this one..

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin