Friday, April 30, 2010

Poem in My Pocket..



WHAT A WHIRLWIND OF A MONTH IT'S BEEN.  THE PARADES FOR NatPoMo are winding down, and here we are at the end of a joyous celebration!  Poems have been gathered in bouquets, and everyone became a poet for the month!  Alas, here it is, Poem in My Pocket Day.  I hope you all have one to tuck away, carry with you if you run into a poetry drought.  I have mine, right here, just in case I have to administer a poetry transfusion.

POEM IN MY POCKET

I'll have a word,
that one there,
the one floating through the air.

Disregarding obvious rhymes,
I refuse to pander
to poetic banter.

Offering a place to land
I try to gather a word
that seems as soft as feathers.

I cup my hands and catch,
not a word
but a hummingbird.

I fit it into my pocket
feeding it a nourishing whisper
and hope it bears within,
a poem.
I let it fly away and circle me,
its wings tick-tocking
some doggerel.

It's absolute bliss,
walking through another day
as a poet,
with one new idea
that's landed in my pocket.


c copyright/ all rights reserved/ 2010

http://www.minblu.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/lynxny

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice, Lyn. I like the idea of a poem as hummingbird; richly coloured, iridescent, etherial and quixotic. Enjoyed your pocket poem.

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
Thank you..that is an elegant comment..
I'm for extending NatPo Mo!!

Tess Kincaid said...

Ah, yes, those wonderful words floating around out there! You know I love this one.

Lyn said...

Hi Willow-
Poetry is never ending, right? Thanks for your kind words!!

Sheri said...

what a lovely talent you have, and i enjoyed hearing this confession of where your 'spark' comes from :)

Jeane Myers said...

Lyn, what a lovely idea - you always make it sound like magic xxo

Lyn said...

Hi sheri-
A very nice thing to say! We just keep trying...

Lyn said...

Hi Jeane-
That's because I believe in magic!thanks.. otherwise we couldn't go the places we go!!

A Cuban In London said...

May that hummingbird sing your praises all day long. What a fantastic piece!

Greetings from London.

Lyn said...

Hi to a Cuban-
What a great thing to say! Thank you!!
Sometimes poems do just fly in..

Roland D. Yeomans said...

The poem I carry in my pocket is in the pocket of my soul. It is the first haiku I wrote {for my historical fantasy RITES OF PASSAGE.}

Dreams drift like clouds,
I reach to the touch the moon,
I grasp my empty night.

Have a beautiful May. What is May the month of, anyway? Roland

Lyn said...

Hi Roland-
May Day, Cinco de Mayo, the Merry Month of May..who could ask for more?
Thank you!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

I cup my hands and catch,
not a word
but a hummingbird.

I fit it into my pocket
feeding it a nourishing whisper
and hope it bears within,

love the above lines,
they are so delicate and stunning!

Lyn said...

Hi Jingle-
Thank you ..I really "saw" this image..ah, poetry!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin