Thursday, August 19, 2010

MAGPIE/ Prompt #28



photo/ willow/magpie tales


PRELUDE

   Norman Bates fell in love.  Her name was Bonnie.  He tested her name.  What a nice name.  What a nice Mrs. Bates she would make.  Bonnie Bates.  It just rolled off his tongue.  Bonnie Bates.  Not as nice as Mommy's name.  Of course.  Not as nice as Betty Bates.  Of course.  But sort of like part of a song.  Bonnie Bates.  Betty Bates.  His Mom asked him what he was humming.  Just a song I'm making up Mommy, sort of a love song, you know.

   Bonnie was in his senior class and Norman sent her messages that hovered over her head.  Peonies and pierced red hearts, he prayed the powers above would let his love drop into her virgin mind.  Bonnie knew that she would be his bride.  Norman could tell by how she blushed.

   Bonnie came to the Bates Motel.  Norman asked her to wave to Mommy, rocking at the front window.  Dust filtered the view.  There she sat every afternoon.  Her favorite place before the sun went down, and Norman helped her to her room.  But tonight would be different.  Tonight Norman would introduce her to his bride.
   He shifted his weight to open the door, and carried Bonnie across the threshold.  Mommy, he called, I have a surprise for you.

   Heart pounding in anticipation of their honeymoon, Norman had in mind a special treat for his bride.  He hastened up the stairs to prepare a bath for Bonnie Bates.
   Wash away any sins, little Bonnie; he hummed a new part of his song.  He placed her in the bubbles, let her feet rise to the rim, polished her toes like he did Mommy's, and sang the rest of the song.  Bonnie Bates, Bonnie Bates.  Not as nice as Mommy.  Not as nice as Betty Bates.


Once again, thank you Willow for this prompt.  We never know when inspiration will raise its lovely head!!  Please attend to all the other Magpies!!!








    








45 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Ick!! This gave me the most delicious shivery shivers!! A willy of a Magpie!!

Lyn said...

Hi Willow-
How can I thank you? It's the toes that did it for me!!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

stunning theme,
well cooked meal!

Helen said...

This was such a unique take on Willow's photo .... I actually read it three times. Wonderful!

Angie Muresan said...

Shivers and goosebumps! Great magpie, Lyn!

Doctor FTSE said...

Out-hitchcocking Hitchcock!

Words A Day said...

Oh this is brilliant, from beginning to end, a complete piece in itself, that voice is done so well its still in my head! Bonnie Bates, Bonnie Bates...
this is one of the best magpies i've read. well done!

Unknown said...

Great Lyn! I watched a programme on TV last night about the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan and the psychological makeup of the culprit (who stalked Jodie Foster) could have been your Norman!

Jinksy said...

Creepy! :)

Lyn said...

Hi Jingle-
Thanks so much..I thought it might be fun to meet Norman again!

Lyn said...

Hi Helen-
Three times..I'm flattered..I did have fun, though!!

Lyn said...

Hi Angie-
Glad you had that reaction!! Thanks...

Lyn said...

Hi Doctor FTSE-
No higher praise!! Thank you...

Lyn said...

Hi Words a Day-
I think that Norman is always lurking, ready to make an appearance...boo!!

Lyn said...

Hi Derrick-
I guess that "psychos" like Norman will always be with us.."My Norman"!!

Lyn said...

Hi Jinksy-
Creepy is good!! He may be back...

steveroni said...

Wasn't that Norman a killer-of-a-guy? Or WHAT!

Splendid "take on Willow's prompt. She has the greatest thing going here...

Lyn said...

Hi Steveroni-
Yes..thank goodness for the Prompts..none of this stuff would see the light of day, if not...

Sam Liu said...

This is a like a fairy tale, a seemingly and all to happy tale, underlaid by a solemn and unnerving darkness. The profound subtlety of your language is amazing.

Lyn said...

Hi Sam-
Thank you! Just my little fantasy of early days of "Psycho"!!

Vicki Lane said...

Oh dear god! Here showers have creeped me out ever since I saw Psycho about 50 years ago -- now tub baths aren't safe either. Arrgh!

(Really nice Magpie, of course!)

Lyn said...

Hi Vicki-
No movie spooked me like Psycho..obviously still haven't gotten over it! Thanks...

Claudia said...

gasp - this gave me shivers - dark magpie you cooked there…

my magpie is here

Brian Miller said...

i think i may hear that song when i next sleep...ha. nicely done...shivers....

my magpie

rel said...

Lyn,
Dang it I was right back there watching Norman and getting the willies all over again!
Perfect Magpie Baits.
rel

Lyn said...

Hi Claudia-
Dark? That happens to me every once in a while!!

Lyn said...

Hi Brian-
It is a cute little ditty, isn't it? Thanks, Brian....

Lyn said...

Hi rel-
Little Norman had to start somewhere..could be there's a tale that goes back to kindergarten!!hahaha...

Berowne said...

When I read the first two words, Norman's name, I knew we'd be in for a wild ride. Very good!

Carrie Van Horn said...

Lyn you gave me goosebumps in this amazing piece! Wonderful and chilling Magpie! :-)

Lyn said...

Hi Berowne-
Thanks for visiting..It gives me great pleasure when my friends get chills at the first 2 words!!

Lyn said...

Hi Carrie-
Thanks, Carrie..there are some memories that are just there forever..Hitchcock anyone?

Anonymous said...

gorgeous
beautiful
wonderful
amazing
fabulous
magical
magnificent
stunning
superb
fantastic

..... and just soo

c
o
o
l

..... I love your blog & blues!

Agneta, a swedish one ;)

Lyn said...

Hi Agneta-
I am humbled by all this praise..blushing..thank you!

Linda said...

An excellently creepy tale.

Lyn said...

Hi Linda-
Sometimes I just get in the mood to be creepy! Can't help myself..thanks!!

A Cuban In London said...

Knowing what we now know about Mr Bates, this is one of the scariest pieces I've read for a long time. But, oh, so delightful! :-) Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

The Urban Cowboy said...

This is my type of tale, awesome.

Lyn said...

Greetings to a Cuban-
Thank you..I think I scared myself!

Lyn said...

Hi Urban Cowboy-
Thank you..I thoroughly understand your taste!!

Tumblewords: said...

Norman rises again! :) How well you wrote this new chapter of his. Chilly-creepy.

Anonymous said...

whoa, awesome. I love this, the creepiness totally fits with the pic and norman bates is one of the coolest bad guys out there. you did a great job.

Lyn said...

Hi Tumblewords-
You can't keep a good man down! Thanks for your visit...

Lyn said...

Hi Patience-
Thanks so much..it's fun to meet up with this guy, every once in a while!

A Boy and his God said...

creepy!
good post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin