Sunday, February 13, 2011

CIRCE/ Poetry Potluck #22


                                          Circe offering the Cup to Odysseus/
                                                 John William Waterhouse

I recently came across a prompt in Poets and Writers Magazine that asked us to choose a poem of ours, and rewrite it in reverse.  Thumbing through my book of poetry,"Two Ghosts", I found the one to fool around with.
Maybe a little wicked for St. Valentine's Day.  Good.  I'll submit it to Poetry Potluck #22, the topic being Love, Bonds, Relationships.  Some obsessions are more intense than others.  Happy Valentine's Day!

CIRCE

I say: Don't worry,
nothing can hurt us now.
You look around to see
who's watching.
But you fall anyway.
You plead:
Don't do this to me.

You will fall into my eyes and stay.
I whisper an enchantment in your ear.
Can I shape your fantasy
before I slip out the door?
Please don't see
how hard it is
for me to leave.

And don't wake,
because I'm stalking you.

Can you feel my intrusion?
I brush the warm sheet,
folded on your thigh.
Let me stare at you
as you dream,
with the bedroom
dark blue at dawn,
the sun still hiding
below the polestar.
Don't wake.


copyright/ all rights reserved/ 2011






                                  

14 comments:

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

don't wake,
love intention or imagery in your words.

rocking entry, Happy Valentine's Day,

A++

Lyn said...

Hi Jingle-
You do present the best ideas..thanks, and Happy Valentine's Day!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.. happy valentines.. here’s mine.. http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2010/05/11/happily-tied/

Shashidhar Sharma said...

Dear Lyn

I loved vividness of your words and the image was so beautiful... Thanks for sharing..

happy Valentines day...

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/01/whispers-emptiness-and-soul.html

Lyn said...

Hi fiveloaf-
Thanks for dropping by..will visit too! Happy Valentine's...

Lyn said...

Hi Shashi-
So glad you liked this..an enjoyable prompt!
Happy Valentine's...

hedgewitch said...

Creepy and good, Lyn. I'm feeling that if it were me in the bed I'd be having one of those nightmares you can't wake up from, knowing...something..was in the room with me. Nice!

Lyn said...

Hi hedgewitch-
I'm glad it had this effect on you! Sort of looking over your shoulder, I guess...thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oooo ... hauntingly beautiful and seductive!

Happy Valentines Day!

Lyn said...

Hi artandwhine-
What an original name!! Thanks for your generous comment...

robin ellen lucas said...

great idea :0

Kavita said...

Oooohhh... gave me goosebumps!! The thought of someone watching over me as I sleep....eeeeeeeeee...

Gee..Lyn, some fantastic imagery here, sweetie! And I can only imagine what the original poem must have been like... whheeww!! Awesome one, L!
Wicked creative, and oozing with a sensuousness that I much enjoyed!

Unknown said...

I followed through the night, even though sleeping,
for the image you presented is definitely worth keeping.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful poem.

Lyn said...

Hi Dan-
How nice to get a little poem from you! Thanks so much..for the comment too..

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin