Sunday, May 22, 2011

THE SKETCH/ Poetry Potluck #36

                                                            Edgar Degas


This week's Poetry Potluck #36, brought to mind a time gone by, when I used to go to Greenwich Village with my friends, and just hang out.  We liked the art exhibits and one day an artist asked me to pose for him.  For free..so people would stop, admire his work, and want a sketch. 
I was about 15 at the time and it sounded like a good deal to me, because I got to keep the sketch.


THE SKETCH

The wind blew dust from the sidewalk
in little whirlpools,
picked up a smudge of blue
that flaked from the pastel crayon.

It lodged in the corner of my eye.
I squinted, as the artist
sketched my face one Sunday afternoon.
I sat for him in the shifting glare
and shadow of a chiaroscura day.

Placing a chair beside the Arch
in Washington Square,
I posed as the Little Dancer at rest.

The artist appraised the pose,
moved my hand to my chin.

A beret tilted over his windswept hair.
Tourists stopped, stared at me.

Sketched with hints of Degas,
a dot of chalk blue
appeared as a tear in my eye.


copyright/ all rights reserved/2011

http://www.minblu.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/lynxny

16 comments:

JamieDedes said...

That Dagas is one of my favs.

I do remember clearly and with longing those walks in the Village and the artists, especially in Spring. In my family it was a ritual to go there at that time of year.

A wonderful poem and I think you for bringing it all back to me.

Do you still have the sketch? Probably not or you might have posted it to illustrate the poem. So things just get lost over the years; but, not our fine memories.

Blog on ...

Kathe W. said...

lovely lovely....a blue tear drop.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

profound experience,
post for a shot,
the feel is aptly captured in your words here.

love the image, I feel short in telling how admirable job you have done here.

Happy Potluck.

Anonymous said...

Lovely =)

Lyn said...

Hi Jamie-
Yes, springtime brought everyone out. My friends and I came "downtown" from the Bronx every weekend..Lex Av line..to become part of what was happening!
No sketch..but the memory, yes!

Lyn said...

Hi Kathe W-
Thank you..a good memory..

Lyn said...

Hi Jingle-
Thanks..Was most happy to bring back this youthful experience..

Lyn said...

Hi mindlovemisery-
So glad you liked this..thanks!

Isabel said...

what a great memory to have and written so well.btw, love Degas.

Victoria said...

Exquisite. I love how you blend the impressionist feel into your own experience. What a priceless moment in your memory bank.

Lyn said...

Hi Isabel-
I'm happy that I could remember some good stuff! Thank you...

Lyn said...

Hi Victoria-
Love the impressionists the most..you can tell! Thanks..

Margie said...

So lovely, Lyn.

Lyn said...

Hi Margie-
This was a pleasure for me to do..thanks...

Charles L Mashburn said...

I really like what you've done here. It takes me to a place I've never been, and yet I see it clearly. Nice!

Lyn said...

Hi Charles-
So glad to share this early experience..never stopped being enthralled by art..and thanks for visiting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin