Tuesday, September 11, 2012

REMEMBER....


                                                                    TWIN TOWERS


AGAIN

That year I saw the dust of new souls settle quickly on my window sill, life caught off guard, amazed at dying, wandering, perhaps looking for an attachment to a life ended in disbelief.

The residue of 9/11 sifted over New York City, and windows, in my apartment, shut tight, couldn't stop the silt from seeping in, graying my black phone, smudging a blue plate waiting to be filled with food, my hair, dull wisps, and my finger able to print my name on the table top.  I wiped all clean, only to start all over again in a minute.

Eleven years later, the air is cleansed, and ordinary, common detritus accumulates, takes over.  But in those first days, weeks, dust had a life of its own.  A death of its own.  We knew what that dust was made of.

And in New York City, you can count on it, sort of place a bet, that always, this date, this 9/11, would ascend as a beautiful day, from sunrise on, a blue clarity, a cloudless sky, a mild warmth in welcome contrast to a blistering summer.

On my tongue, a taste is discerned, a bit salty, tears caught in the flask of time, released every year on a New York City day of clear perfection.

Remember/ The Pentagon/ Shanksville, Pa.


copyright/all rights reserved/ 2011

http://www.minblu.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/lynxny


4 comments:

21 Wits said...

I do. As the years trail on though, it seems many don't. Your tribute, such profound writing, so important to embrace today and tomorrow.

Kathe W. said...

a beautiful tribute to an awful day. We will never forget. How can we?

Lyn said...

Hi Karen-
Thank you so much for your comment..every year..strangely the same.

Lyn said...

Hi Kathe-
Indeed, how? Thank you for your words...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin