Sunday, October 27, 2013

MAGPIE...PROMPT #191


                                                        le Jardin/ 1962/ Max Ernst


THANK YOU, TESS...for Magpie Tales...


AMULET

My resolve cuts a swathe,
thinks it is the wind,
ceases.

I clutch a handful of detritus,
fools me,
looks like diamonds,
really a shard of glass,
flying,
sculpting an edge within me.

The wind stirs again,
a cloud
blows its cheeks
to comic effect.

Is it yesterday,
today, tomorrow?

Same clutch, release, bleed.
Demeter around my neck,
ancient amulet
caresses my skin.

Promises engorge me,
I'm the mother,
I'm a mother,

afraid that dying will end it all.


Copyright/ All rights reserved/ 2013


http://www.minblu.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/lynxny

20 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ok, wicked good closing stanza...nice build to it, but its the best part....the mother, a mother...and engorging...well played...

Berowne said...

Skillfull and inventive; well done.

Tess Kincaid said...

Gorgeous bit of writing that resonates with me...thanks Lyn...

Lyn said...

Hi Brian-
So glad that you found this "well played" ...thank you!

Lyn said...

Hi Berowne-
Thanks so much for your kind words!

Lyn said...

Hi Tess-
Oh, that's special! Many thanks...

Margie said...

Gosh, Lyn, this is wonderfully done!
And the last part

*Promises engorge me
I'm the mother
I'm a mother

Double wonderful!

Good to see you back
:)

dori said...

Another beauty by the beautiful poet, Lyn. Sad and fragile. Life bleeds - but it's worth it...better than the alternative. Silly us, always.

Love
D

Lyn said...

Hi Margie-
Really appreciate your kind words...thank you!

Lyn said...

Hi dori-
Wow! that's just a lovely comment...thanks!!

Silent Otto said...

Implicit in this birth business is the promise of death.....i think this explains why most men are absolutely terrified of women !
Gday Lyn ....

Lyn said...

Gday Kutamun-
Interesting..once here..you do get the whole package! Thanks!!

gautami tripathy said...

Keep writing!

erosion

Lyn said...

Hi gautami tripathy-
You're so right...I will! Thank you...

Unknown said...

That last line is powerful.

Truedessa said...

I enjoyed reading this the ending capped it all off, I didn't see those lines coming.

humbird said...

It's hard to be strong, assertive - 'My resolve cuts a swathe,' - from other side - who said it will be an easy? ..we all learn our lessons...strong poem!

Lyn said...

Hi Robyn-
Thanks so much...out of the blue!

Lyn said...

Hi Truedessa-
So glad you enjoyed...thanks!!

Lyn said...

Hi humbird-
You're so right..no illusions..lessons learned! Thanks so much!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin